Monday, December 13, 2010

The Kingbird Principle (Or How To Let Your Subconscious Do Some Work)


I’ve heard it called other names, but since I invented it, and can't remember the other names, my title reigns.

Basically, the Kingbird Principle relates to the fact that once you start to focus on something, it’s everywhere. I used to be an avid bird watcher, and I had spotted all the larger birds that inhabit our area of Ontario, but I had never seen a Kingbird -- until the day I specifically started looking for them. To my amazement, I saw three the first day! The area is full of them -- hence the Kingbird Principle.

I can hear you asking: "How can this relate to a blog about screenwriting?" Believe me it does! Once we started working on the outline of GREEN DARKNESS, it began to flow. Suddenly so much of what we saw and heard related to what we are working on.

For example: an episode of a British mystery series mentions the Tudor era and causes a rethink of an aspect of the story; a documentary about the Secret Service men who were protecting JFK the day of the assassination yields dramatic dialogue possibilities to strengthen the romance -- from Jacqueline Kennedy of all people; a conversation about flowers results in a stronger opportunity for the antagonist at the climax -- and on it goes.

Since I discovered the Kingbird Principle, I've had numerous examples of its truth. It’s astounding what you find when you’re not even looking. Once you set your focus and commit to an idea, the Universe steps in to help you on your way! You may call it serendipity, or God, but whatever it is, it's real. Isn’t the sub-conscious wonderful--and a pain in the a** at times too?

Can you see what’s right in front of you this very minute? Are you...sure? 'Kingbirds' are everywhere~~
Angela

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you are going to bring my all-time favorite novel to the big screen! I have read Green Darkness at least 3 times through the years. I first read it in the early 70's and I have gifted that book to several of my friends through the years!

    I can't wait to read your entire blog and to follow your progress as you bring Green Darkness to life!

    THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE SO WELCOME!
    You are the audience for this movie! Give us your input and we'll try to make this script as awesome and haunting as the book. After that, it will be in the hands of the producers and we'll keep our fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete